Thursday, March 19, 2009

What a Pain!

Daniel told me that he was glutened at dinner, and I said, WHAT? We had leftovers for dinner. Everything he ate, I made from scratch.

Except.

He grabbed a couple of mini milky way midnights for dessert.

When I go to the grocery store, I read every freakin' label. Even things I've gotten before, because sometimes companies change their ingredients just for fun. I read the ingredients of Milky Way Midnights: Semisweet chocolate (sugar, chocolate processed with alkali, cocoa butter, milkfat, soy lecithin, natural and artificial flavors), corn syrup, sugar, hydrogenated palm kernal oil and/or palm oil, skim milk, less than 2% milkfat, lactose, salt, egg whites, natural and artificial flavor. The allergy info says that it might contain peanuts.

There's no ingredient listed that is a gluten problem. So I bought the package. When Daniel complained of stomach pain tonight, I checked online to see if anyone else had any problems with these candies. It seems that regular milky way bars contain both wheat and barley malt, which make them a big NO NO for my kid. But the minis don't have any wheat or gluten ingredients listed. Other people asked what the deal was, because it's confusing!

Well, let me tell you -- if you are celiac, don't eat them! Trust Daniel's stomach and stay away from the pain.

And now I'm just hoping that whatever amount of gluten that he had was so small that he will be able to get through the evening without losing his dinner!

No comments: