Saturday, March 7, 2009

Spinning Straw Into Gold

It seems like the school year just gets more more intense and compact as we race headlong towards the finish. There are more activities, assemblies, and projects and June keeps getting closer and honestly I don't know its all going to get done. I try to remind myself to take one day at a time.

And so, with work so busy and the kids' schedules filled, I added one more responsibility into my life. I had been practicing the fine art of saying "NO" since I started working full time, but this is one thing I couldn't resist.

Last weekend I went to a training session to work with the JDRF to mentor newly diagnosed T1 families. Those first few weeks of diagnosis -- that crazy, intense time -- are still so clear in my mind. The fear, the tears, the sleeplessness, and cramming all that life or death info into an overtaxed brain! I was so lucky to have a friend to help in those first days, someone who had been through it with her own son, who held me up when I was collapsing, who went to the 504 plan meeting with me, who emailed me or called me daily until we got our minds wrapped around this enormous change in our family.

I received my first assignment today, and called M. to make sure he received his "Bag of Hope" from the JDRF, and to offer help, sympathy, a shoulder, an answer. M. was very thankful for the phone call. He's at the point where they are just starting to get the blood sugar numbers in range, and feeling like they might have a little control over the situation. M's child is independently testing blood sugars at a young age (what a hero!), and is starting to count carbs. They were still taking everything day by day, but sounded like they were doing well, all things considered. I promised to email links to all sorts of places that helped me when I was in crisis, and told M. to call or email me at any time with questions, concerns, or successes. It was a great conversation.

We probably talked for about 15 minutes. I don't know if M. will call me back, but he did seem happy to know that there were people out there willing to give their time to check in & help.

Oh yes, I am. Thank you, M., for being my first phone call. For helping me learn how to mentor. For sharing your story with me. I'm sad to welcome you to the world of diabetes, but so happy that we're both in a place with supportive, caring people.

Now let's fix the US health care system. :)

No comments: