Friday, January 30, 2009

Pain in the Butt


Half the time Daniel does a site change, he does it on his own. Half the time I help him. We know how important it is to rotate sites so he doesn't get a goose egg under the skin and have trouble absorbing insulin. Per our diabetes nurse, we try to do about 6 different spots in one area, like the right side of the stomach, then do 6 more in another area, like the left side of the stomach, and then move on to the back of the arm, the butt, the side, etc. Daniel hates doing his thighs, so we've stayed away from that area. Too bad, because that would be an easy access for him.

It would be helpful for him to have arm extensions and a head that twisted all the way around, like an owl, to reach some of his sites on his backside. I don't know how people do it who don't have moms or partners around to help. I guess you get resourceful. Daniel's not there yet. So he directs me to put it there... no, *there*... and have the attachment for the tubing pointing kind of sideways... a little more... and I don't always get it right. Today he was complaining about his pain in the butt because I got the angle wrong yesterday.

I could say something about teenagers being a pain in the butt. Quite often they are! But then again, I'm not the one with a cannula sticking out of my ass, so I'll shut up and try for a better angle next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sympathize with Daniel, having had said goose eggs on my rear during fertility treatments. I'd also say that it was harder for Shep to keep sticking me than it was for me to get stuck.