Monday, December 1, 2008

Rainbow

I was on the phone with Nora when I pulled into the bank to go into the drive-through. I was telling her that there was a lovely rainbow outside, and she should go look. There were two drive through lines, with cars at both stations. There was a car waiting behind the the person in the left lane, so I pulled into the right-hand lane to wait behind the other car.

As I hung up with Nora, I heard a beep. The lady waiting behind the left-hand car was beeping at me. I rolled down my window.

"Excuse me," she said, "I was waiting in line for the next available space. So you should wait behind me, it just makes sense."

I said, "No, that's not the way it works. There are two tellers. Two lines. You just pull up to the next open space."

She said, "Well I think it makes sense to wait for the next open spot," or something like that. I once again said that I believed you just pulled into whatever line is available. That's the way it is with drive up banking as opposed to waiting in line inside. Two drive ups. Don't cross over the white line. I was also about to explain that in any case, if I got behind her and ANOTHER car wanted to get in line, it would go right past me and take the next space! But before I could say that she smiled sweetly at me and said, "well, if it is that important to you, just pull right up." And she rolled up her window. Patronizing bitch.

So I did! And to prove my point, another car pulled in at that very moment, right behind her. I pointed at the car, as if to explain my point, but she was no longer looking at me.

I could have said that it didn't really matter. I always pick the wrong line, especially when there are two open and I have a choice. This time I didn't have a choice. There was one line open. I took it.

I hate it when people are so smarmy and condescending, especially when they are WRONG.

My line was slower, of course. It always is. And when I left the bank, the rainbow was gone.

No comments: