Saturday, October 27, 2007

Thank you my friends,

Thanks everyone for the comments, emails, and words of support. It goes a long way. It's not the getting up twice in the middle of the night that gets to me, it's the inability to fall back asleep again. I think back to when my kids were babies and I was nursing for months around the clock. Was it like this? Did I crumble so easily? I can't remember. And of course, that's one of the things that lack of sleep does to you -- it robs you of your memory.

Our wonderful pen nurse Celia increased the Lantus to 28 last night, and we're adjusting the bolus ratios for every meal every day, depending on what Daniel's bg does. For the first time in FOREVER (what, a week and a half?) he was below 200 all night. Whew! Have we hit the magic number? Of course, today after breakfast he spiked up over 200, which is weird because he has been dropping low during the day. And honestly, if he's going to drop, I'd rather deal with it in the light of day than the fog of night when at least two more brain cells are switched to the ON position.

I've tried to steal a drop of Daniel's blood at night without waking him, but that has happened only twice. For some reason his fingers easily release enough blood at midnight, but are quite stingy at 3 a.m. It's taken 4 or 5 attempts to get one drop. Daniel shares a room with his younger brother, so we swear in whispers and I cringe at the click of the lancet. Dominic talks in his sleep, and I wonder if we are influencing his dreams.

We are certainly influencing mine.

No comments: